PMA-OSHA alliance renewal in 2007. Front row, left to right: PMA President Bill Gaskin and Assistant Secretary of Labor for OSHA Edwin Foulke Jr; back row, left to right: PMA Safety Committee Member Richard Sbroglia, E & E Mfg. Co.; PMA Industry Safety Manager Christie Carmigiano; and PMA 2008 Chairman of the Board Ralph Hardt, Feintool North America.
PMA and Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) entered into an alliance agreement in November 2005 to promote worker safety and health in the metalforming industry. The alliance was renewed in 2007. Through the alliance, PMA and OSHA worked together to reduce exposure to ergonomic hazards and address press safety issues such as machine guarding and lockout/tagout to prevent injuries.
- OSHA's Distracted Driving Initiative
- Hazards Associated with the Unintended (Double) Cycling of Mechanical Power Presses
- Free Safety Webinars (presented by the American Supply Association)
- Loading Dock & Door Safety
- Ergonomics & Back Safety for Material Handling
- "$afety Pays" Program (helps employers estimate costs of occupational injuries and illnesses and the impact on profitability)
- Making the Business Case for Safety and Health
- Free Business-Safety Consultation Programs Offered by OSHA
- Machine Guarding E-tool
- Metalworking Fluids in Small Business: A Health and Safety "QUICKSTART" Guide
- OSHA's Small Business Resources
- OSHA's Voluntary Protection Program
- OSHA’s Small Business Handbook
- Consultation Program Helps Small Businesses Establish Safety and Health Programs
- OSHA Tool for Building Drug-Free Workplace Policies and Programs
- OSHA Resources for Hispanic Workers
- OSHA's Powered Industrial Truck (Forklift) e-Tool
- PMA Alliance Page on OSHA's Website (includes complete details about alliance activities, products and resources, areas of emphasis and more)
Safety FirstPMA's Safety First training program is a first-day-on-the-job safety awareness DVD that provides an introduction to safety issues in the metalforming industry. It is short, to the point and ideal for new employees, temporary workers and contractors. In addition to the video, the DVD includes a facilitator’s guide with an employee post-test and four industry safety posters.
To receive a free copy of the DVD, contact Christie Carmigiano at email@example.com.
Ergonomics in the Pressroom
- PMA Ergonomics Checklist
- Ergonomics presentation by Mary Bauer, OSHA
- Hazard zone jobs checklist
- Ergonomic risk factors checklist
- Sprains and strains prevention fact sheet
Industry Safety Posters
- Dress for Safety
- Reduce the Risk of Back Injuries
- Protect Yourself from Injury
- Avoid Slips, Trips and Falls
- PMA Lockout/Tagout Checklist
- PMA General Machine Guarding Checklist
- PMA Mechanical Power Press Checklist
- PMA Ergonomics Checklist
Pitcher Insurance Agency Safety Award
One of PMA's Awards of Excellence in Metalforming
The health and safety of employees is vital. This award recognizes either an effective comprehensive safety program or a specific innovative idea in the context of an effective safety program. Winning safety suggestions may help others to run safer, more productive operations. This is your opportunity to present your "safety solutions" to the industry and receive recognition for your efforts. The 2013 competition has ended. The winner will be announced in November 2013 at FABTECH.